Which Overview do you want to access?
Ask children: Have you ever been embarrassed about something and tried to hide it?
You might like to share a funny, personal example, e.g. When I was at school, I sneezed and snot came out my nose, tried to hide it and didn’t do any work that lesson…
Click to play “Paradise Street”, Episode 4.
Finn stays up late playing computer games which then affects his work and relationships the next day. Meanwhile, Siobhan discovers a spot on her face which mortifies her and she tries her best to cover it up.
See the Module Overview for further guidance on this section.
Use the Lucky Dip Questions in Appendix 1 to generate discussion.
Alternatively, here are some discussion points you can use to facilitate a conversation with pupils about the drama.
• Why did Finn stay up so late? Who was he disobeying? Have you ever stayed up really late and how did you feel the next day?
• Do you think it’s easy or difficult being a parent? What about a parent that works unpredictable shifts?
• What is it that makes Finn want to complete ‘just one more level’ again and again? Do you find computer and video games addictive?
• Why is Siobhan so nervous about going to school with a spot? What would you say to Siobhan, if you had been with her when she first saw it?
• Have you ever been self-conscious about the way you look? How did it feel?
• Why does Marcus drink a protein shake?
• Why is Finn falling asleep in class? How will that affect his learning and that of his classmates?
• What did Miss Nichols say to Finn and Siobhan? Do you think they found it helpful?
• What did Finn forget to do in the morning and what were the consequences?
• What does Marcus learn about protein shakes and diet?
Click to play “Delving Deeper into Episode 4”
“Delving Deeper” is a presenter-led film which highlights some of the key ideas presented in the film, gives some teaching and provides a Christian context by linking to the Kester storyline.
This teaching includes:
Summary of the good choices they can make about the following:
• Personal hygiene
• Electronic entertainment
Children should complete the Personal Hygiene activity in their Paradise Street Workbooks.
Today’s activity about personal hygiene provides an opportunity for children to consolidate factual learning and make good choices about their own personal hygiene.
It is advisable for children to complete these workbook activities independently. You might like to play music in the background to encourage focus, before bringing the class back together to conclude.
Invite children to close eyes and listen to the following reflection read by teacher:
Lord, I believe in you: increase my faith.
I trust in you: strengthen my trust.
I love you: let me love you more and more.
I am sorry for my sins: deepen my sorrow.
Make me wise in planning,
Courageous in taking risks.
Make me patient in suffering, unassuming when I’m doing well.
Keep me, Lord, attentive at prayer,
Balanced in food and drink,
Diligent in my work,
Firm in my good intentions.
Excerpts from Prayer of St Clement (edited for sense for younger audience)
Sit in silence for a moment and think of one thing you can do to look after the body God gave you today.
Play: “My Dedication”