Lesson: Trust the Truth
RSE Programme - Secondary Schools
This follow-up session allows young people to delve deeper into the themes of the film, "The Trouble With Max", to reflect personally on the negative pressures and influences they are faced with and to combat these lies with a deeper understanding of the truth about who they are.
Key Point / Learning Objective:
- To delve deeper into the main themes of ‘The Trouble with Max’.
- To reflect on the negative pressures and influences students are faced with, and where these voices can come from.
- To consider the truth about who they are and how this truth can combat the lies.
- Be able to describe ‘The Trouble with Max’ and identify the main themes raised in the film.
- In groups, discuss and feedback the negative pressures and influences they are faced with, and where these voices can come from.
- Join in with discussion and teaching about ‘truth’ and how to combat the lies.
- Teacher Script
- PowerPoint presentation
- Appendix 1 – Synopsis of ‘The Trouble with Max’
- Appendix 2 – A Pack of Lies
- Appendix 3 – Personal Writing Booklet
- Read the synopsis in ‘Appendix 1 - The Trouble with Max’, especially if you were not able to be in the session.
- Decide upon discussion groups before the session begins (we suggest 5-6 per group), paying attention to the sensitivity of group dynamics.
- Print one ‘Appendix 2 – A Pack of Lies’ per group.
- Print and fold ‘Appendix 3 – Personal Writing Booklet’ per student (A4 sheet folded into A5 booklet).
Overview and timings
- Film Recap and Group Agreement - 10 mins
- Discussion: “Trust the Lies, Not the Truth” - 30 mins
- Personal Writing time - 7 mins
- Prayer and Seeking Support - 3 mins
TOTAL TIME: 50 mins
You must be logged in to download.Resource only available with a 'Ten Ten RSE Day booking' in the academic year 2018/19.
How to play the films
Most of our video content is provided in the Windows Media Video (.wmv) format as this is the best fitting format for most school computers. If you use a Mac computer, you may like to consider downloading a plugin so it can play .wmv files. Here are two links to plugins. Please note that they are external plugins and Ten Ten cannot guarantee that they will work on your local machines. The plugin costs $9.99.