Lesson: Looking in the Mirror
RSE Programme - Secondary Schools
In the film, “Facts of Life”, Esther has a difficult time fitting in and struggles to share her anxiety with anyone. Eventually, she tells her Grandad, who then helps her look at herself through the eyes of God. In this lesson, students will explore the character of Esther a little more deeply and will be taken on a journey in which they too will look at themselves ‘through the eyes of God’.
Key Point / Learning Objective
- To understand that fitting in can be a challenge for lots of people
- To appreciate that forming long-lasting friendships takes time and effort.
• To know that Jesus loves us for who we are.
- I can identify how different people struggle to fit in.
- I can offer support and advice to different situations and scenarios.
- I can describe how I think God sees me, and also the places I sometimes go to seek affirmation and approval.
- Teacher Script
- PowerPoint presentation (including films)
- Appendix 1 – one copy for every student folded into A5 worksheet.
- Coloured pens and pencils.
You may wish to model The Mirror Exercise yourself. If not, you can use the film clip provided.
Overview and timings
1. Introduction - 2 mins
2. Film clip and discussion - 5 mins
3. Scenarios - 12 mins
4. Real-life stories - 5 mins
5. The Mirror Exercise - 20 mins
6. Final Prayer - 1 min
TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
You must be logged in to download.Resource only available with a 'Ten Ten RSE Day booking' in the academic year 2018/19.
How to play the films
Most of our video content is provided in the Windows Media Video (.wmv) format as this is the best fitting format for most school computers. If you use a Mac computer, you may like to consider downloading a plugin so it can play .wmv files. Here are two links to plugins. Please note that they are external plugins and Ten Ten cannot guarantee that they will work on your local machines. The plugin costs $9.99.