Lesson: Safe Sex or Save Sex?
RSE Programme - Secondary Schools
This lesson for PSHE or RE lesson takes one aspect of the story of “Babies” – the topic of “safe sex”; it gives students an opportunity to learn some facts and myths about “safe sex”, and understand some of the virtues of “saving sex”. It includes clips from the film “Babies”, and also a filmed interview with a young man who decided to save sex until he was married.
Key Point / Learning Objective
- To learn facts, and expose some myths, about “safe sex”.
- To understand why some people choose to “save sex” for marriage.
- I know that engaging in sexual intercourse leads to the possibility of pregnancy, no matter what precautions are in place.
- I can describe some of the reasons why people choose to save sex for marriage.
- Teacher Script
- PowerPoint presentation (including films)
- Appendix 1 – Personal Writing Sheet
Please take a little time to read through the ‘Teaching’ elements of the lesson so you can put it into your own words.
Print and hand out Personal Writing Sheets to every student at the start of the lesson.
Overview and timings
1. Introduction - 3 mins
2. Replay scene from Babies - 10 mins
3. Is sex safe? - 3 mins
4. What is sex for? - 5 mins
5. Rachel’s Testimony - 7 mins
6. Personal writing & discussion - 10 mins
7. Plenary - 5 mins
8. Final prayer - 2 mins
TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
You must be logged in to download.Resource only available with a 'Ten Ten RSE Day booking' in the academic year 2018/19.
How to play the films
Most of our video content is provided in the Windows Media Video (.wmv) format as this is the best fitting format for most school computers. If you use a Mac computer, you may like to consider downloading a plugin so it can play .wmv files. Here are two links to plugins. Please note that they are external plugins and Ten Ten cannot guarantee that they will work on your local machines. The plugin costs $9.99.