Subscription resource - Primary Schools
The Good Shepherd
w/c 13 May 2019
Liturgical Year: 4th Sunday of Easter
Gospel: John 10: 27-30
Last Sunday was ‘Good Shepherd Sunday’, where churches remember the service of priests and sisters across the world who follow the example of Jesus, the ultimate Good Shepherd.
The Ten Ten assembly this week focuses on celebrating this shepherding role of priests and sisters, while the daily prayers allow space for children to reflect on what Jesus as their Good Shepherd means for them.
Just before this week’s Gospel passage, Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd, the good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep.” Through the prayers this week, which each day relate to a different verse of the Gospel passage, children will learn that Jesus, their good shepherd, offers them protection, security, and fathomless love and care.
HOW TO LEAD
NB: The prayer leader can be an adult or responsible child.
- Ensure children are seated comfortably, perhaps on the floor in a circle. Ask them to take a few deep breaths and still themselves in preparation for prayer.
- When they are ready, click to reveal the Gospel on the slide. The Prayer Leader should read this aloud.
- Music plays automatically.
- The prayer leader should read the daily reflection from Appendix 1.
- Where prompted in the Appendix script, click to reveal the instruction on screen, which the prayer leader should read aloud.
- Pause to allow time for children to think.
- Finish with the final prayer.