Subscription resource - Primary Schools
Shine On Me
w/c 18 March 2019
Liturgical Year: 2nd Sunday of Lent
Gospel: Luke 9: 28-36
This week’s Gospel tells us about the Transfiguration, when Jesus showed something of His divine nature to Peter, James and John. He appeared to them physically in a way that they had never seen before and they were astonished.
We can’t ever comprehend God but, over the years, people in different ways have tried to convey something of Christ’s nature through music, art or architecture. Works of art might depict Jesus’ humanity, His Kingly presence, His love or any number of other aspects.
In these meditative prayers, we encourage pupils to experience and respond to God’s presence through reflectively looking at representations of Christ. Each day has a slightly different theme:
- Monday - Christ the King;
- Tuesday - God the father;
- Wednesday - Jesus, our teacher;
- Thursday - the Servant King;
- Friday - Jesus our friend.
HOW TO LEAD
- Start the prayer time with the sign of the cross. Then say the short prayer together on the first day’s slide, ‘Jesus, you are with me…’
- Take a moment to allow the children to adopt a comfortable ‘prayer pose’ – sitting straight up, hands laid softly on knees, eyes closed, breathing deeply and gently.
- Then invite the children to open their eyes and begin the Powerpoint slideshow. Use the suggested commentary on the slides as you see fit, to best help the children experience God’s presence.
- You may like to give the children a few minutes to draw or write something in response to what they have just seen. Keep this paper for the next day’s prayer time.
- Close the prayer with the sign of the cross.
We haven’t added music to this set of prayers because of the focus on the images. If you find that music is beneficial to your children’s time of prayer, you may wish to play your own music in the background.
This is a subscription resource. You must be logged in to download.