Subscription resource - Primary Schools
Pray At All Times
w/c 03 December 2018
Liturgical Year: 1st Sunday of Advent
Gospel: (Luke 21: 25-28, 35-36)
The great season of Advent begins this week - a time of anticipation and preparation for Jesus' coming at Christmas and looking ahead to when he comes again at the end of time. This week's Gospel speaks of preparing our hearts and we hear Jesus saying 'Stay awake, praying at all times'.
'Praying at all times' can seem a bit daunting and maybe even an impossible task! So, this week's prayers help children to reflect on simple and varied ways of praying which show how to 'stay awake, praying at all times'. By 'praying at all times', we can recognise the signs of Jesus working in our lives.
How to Lead:
Each day, the prayer follows this journey:
• Children sit in a circle, if possible.
• Pause for silence and say the prayer "Jesus, help us to stay awake, praying at all times" together.
• Prayer leader asks: "How will you pray today?" Children respond each day with phrase beginning "We will ...."
• Music plays automatically on this slide
• Each day has a different way of praying and children are invited to speak aloud their prayers in each day's style. Examples are given on Slide 3 each day.
• You may like to pass a prayerful object, such as a cross, around the circle as each child offers their prayer:
o Monday - Praise God for who He is
o Tuesday - Thanksgiving for what we have
o Wednesday - Intercede for someone
o Thursday - Sorry prayer
o Friday - Ask for ourselves
• Conclude the prayer by saying together again, "Jesus, help us to stay awake, praying at all times".