Subscription resource - Primary Schools
w/c 1 October 2018
Liturgical Year: 26th Sunday of Ordinary Time
In the Gospel this week, we learn about how destructive and inhibiting jealousy can be. The disciples seem proud of their new-found abilities to heal and want to keep them amongst their own band of believers. Children too can easily become jealous, especially in school where they see others doing things better than they can.
So in our prayers this week, we reject jealously and celebrate others’ character or achievements.
HOW TO LEAD
Click to play music on Slide 1, then navigate to the slide for the day.
Describe that day’s positive character trait* and invite the pupils to think of a time when they experienced that trait from someone else. E.g. on Monday, “When was the last time someone was friendly towards you?”
Encourage them to write or draw a thank you for that event and that person. Or, simply to thank them silently in a moment of reflection.
Slides B & C
Look at the two slides of the growing plant and explain that each time we celebrate others, we help them to grow. The plant on the slides grows a little more each day as we get more practiced at celebrating others!
Together we say our prayer for the week.
* Notes to help you describe the character trait.
- Monday: A person Being Friendly – asks others to join in, listens to others, remembers them, is generous, smiles a lot, talks to others.
- Tuesday: A person Playing Fair – keeps a cool temper, takes turns, makes sure everyone has a go, speaks up when others are left out / treated unfairly, doesn’t grab or push in.
- Wednesday: A Forgiving person – doesn’t hold a grudge, sulk, look for revenge. They talk things through with others and say sorry when they’re wrong.
- Thursday: A person with Joy for Life – is enthusiastic, stays positive in difficult times, makes the most of opportunities, looks happy, is optimistic, helps others up when they feel down, keeps trying.
- Friday: A Generous person – gives others their time or things they own, does work for charity and encourages others in their efforts, is kind, thoughtful and warm towards others.