Subscription resource - Primary Schools
w/c 24 September 2018
Liturgical Year: 25th Sunday of Ordinary Time
This week’s Gospel concludes with the essential teaching of Jesus that to truly welcome God into our lives, we must welcome all those he places in our path - from family and friends to the homeless, the sick, the suffering. By welcoming all those we meet with an open heart, we are also welcoming God with an open heart.
St Augustine said 'He who sings, prays twice' and singing our praises, worship and intercessions to God is a particular way to bring us closer to God. This week's prayer gives children the opportunity to learn the song 'Whatsoever you do' - the words help us to reflect on how the smallest thing we do for others helps us to welcome God and bring God's love to the world around us.
• Familiarise yourself with the tune of the song and ensure song track plays
How to Lead:
• Gather the children around the screen
• Each day starts with an image connected to the day's song words and a shortened verse from the Gospel - read this together.
• Remind children each day that we are called to welcome others into our lives - love and serve them - and that in this way, we are welcoming Jesus.
• Monday - listen to the whole song so that children become familiar with the simple tune.
• Each day (including Monday) introduces one new verse to the song 'Whatsoever you do'. Read the words of the verse together - one line at a time can work well with songs. 'My turn, your turn'. Children can then sing along with the recorded version or you can sing it with them unaccompanied to teach it.
• Conclude each day with a moment of silence and the sign of the cross.