Subscription resource - Primary Schools
w/c 3 September 2018
Liturgical Year: 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time
Back to school and we might all have mixed feelings about that! Younger children may be coming to terms with the demands of school life and older ones might struggle to get back into the school routine after weeks of less structured time.
These three daily prayers offer a few moments of stillness to connect with Jesus and centre ourselves in his love.
Each day’s prayer starts with a centring exercise.
On Day 1, we express gratitude for the opportunities of a new term.
On Day 2, we ask for the gift of perseverance.
On Day 3, we ask to wholeheartedly trust in Jesus.
- 1 x PowerPoint
How to Lead
For each day’s centring prayer, use the following guide:
- Click to Slide 2 and Play the Music softly.
- Let the children get into a comfortable sitting position. (Suggest: hands placed palm upwards on knees, back straight.)
- Tell them that they are going to go to a very still, quiet place in the very centre of themselves to meet Jesus. They will spend a little time there resting with him.
- Ask them to choose a word or phrase to ‘unlock’ the way to meeting Jesus. This might be ‘Jesus I long for you’, ‘Jesus I love you’ or something else. (If they prefer, they can use a picture in their mind.)
- Now, ask them to close their eyes and repeat the ‘unlock’ phrase slowly to themselves. (Or hold their chosen picture in their mind.)
- Tell the children that Jesus is with them in a very special way now.
- Maintain this state for as long as you think best.
- Gradually reduce the volume of the music and follow this guidance for each day:
After the centring prayer, click to Slide 3 and read, or have a child read, the intercession.
After the centring prayer, click to Slide 4 and read, or have a child read, the intercession.
After the centring prayer, click to Slide 5 and read, or have a child read, the intercession.
Download no longer available