Subscription resource - Primary Schools
And Now We Wait...
w/c 03 June 2019
On Thursday 30th May, the church celebrates the Ascension of Jesus. The disciples could have felt great loss at Jesus’ departure, but the Gospel describes them as ‘full of joy’! A great comfort to them must have been the memories they had with Jesus and that He stayed on earth for 40 days after His resurrection to give them proof that He truly was alive.
Through a short film about a family member going away but leaving behind a diary documenting their stay and promising postcards, children will, like the disciples after Ascension day, eagerly anticipate Jesus’ very special gift.
“And now I am sending down to you what the Father has promised. Stay in the city then, until you are clothed with power from on high.” Luke 24:46-53
Please note that this is the reading from Ascension Day (Thursday 30th May) rather than the Sunday Gospel.
Key Point / Learning Objective:
Children will learn that:
- Jesus went up to heaven 40 days after His resurrection and promised to send a special gift to His disciples.
- Like the disciples, we can keep faith in Jesus by remembering the things He said and did.
- Engage with the film and answer questions.
- Reflect on Jesus’ words and actions.
- PowerPoint Presentation.
Appendix 1 – Gospel Reading.
- Ask a child to read the Gospel in Appendix 1.
- Traditional: Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise by Charles Wesley
- Contemporary: O Praise the Name (Anastasis) by Hillsong Worship