Subscription resource - Primary Schools
Release the Peace
w/c 08 April 2019
In today’s assembly, children will learn that they are called to be peacemakers like Jesus. Children will hear the story of Jimmy Mizen, whose parents chose to forgive those responsible for his death, and who have built peace in his memory.
This assembly challenges children to think before responding in anger to situations where they might feel hard done by, encouraging them to build peace instead. It is rooted in Sunday’s Gospel story of the woman caught in adultery, which shows how Jesus doesn’t condemn people but instead chooses the path of peace and forgiveness.
“If there is one of you who has not sinned, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” John 8:7
Key Point / Learning Objective:
• Learn that God calls us to be peacemakers.
• Discover how they can show forgiveness and mercy to others even in difficult circumstances.
• Listen to Jimmy’s story and the Gospel passage and answer questions.
• Be able to describe how they can choose to be peacemakers and forgive others.
• PowerPoint Presentation
• Appendix 1 – Jimmy’s Story
• Appendix 2 – Gospel Reading
• Prepare children or another teacher to read Appendix 1 and 2.
• Decide if you will use the Coldplay track as entrance music and prepare accordingly.
• Traditional: "Hosea (Come Back To Me)" by Gregory Norbet
• Contemporary: "Heart of God" by Hillsong Worship
Martin Brown, Jimena Larraguivel and Edith Kirkwood