Subscription resource - Primary Schools
w/c 18 March 2019
This week’s Gospel is the Transfiguration of Christ, where Peter, James and John saw Jesus’s face and clothing become ‘as brilliant as lightning’ while He was praying. There was also a voice from a cloud which said, “This is my Son, the Chosen One. Listen to Him.” The disciples didn’t understand fully at the time, but these happenings were an affirmation that Jesus was the Messiah and an anticipation of the glory of the Resurrection.
This assembly shows that just like Jesus, the more time we spend with God, the more we will reflect His light in the world. Children will consider that we are changed by who or what we spend our time with. Will we choose to spend time with God?
‘The aspect of His face was changed and His clothing became brilliant as lightning.’ Luke 9:28-36
Key Point / Learning Objective:
Children will understand that:
• We are changed by who we spend our time with.
• The Transfiguration shows Jesus as the Messiah and helps us look forward to the Resurrection.
• Like Jesus, the more time we spend with God, the more we will reflect His light in the world.
Children will engage with the:
• Film and Gospel drama, answering differentiated questions.
• Lent song as a prayer to draw closer to God.
• PowerPoint Presentation
• Appendix 1 – Transfiguration Gospel Drama
• Print copies of Appendix 1 and prepare three or four children to perform it.
• Traditional: "Christ is the World's Light" by F.Pratt Green
• Contemporary: "Transfiguration" by Hillsong Worship