Subscription resource - Primary Schools
Draw Me to Your Presence, O Lord
w/c 04 March 2019
On Ash Wednesday, the six-week journey of Lent begins, where Christians are called to a deeper commitment to prayer, fasting and giving so that we are renewed ready to receive new life at Easter. In a guided meditation, children will imagine they are gardeners that need to tend, prune and feed their hearts in order to be ready for new life to blossom. The assembly ends with an opportunity to make commitments for Lent.
NB. Instead of ‘fasting’ this assembly refers to ‘acting’ or ‘taking action.’ This could mean giving something up or taking something up during Lent.
“…your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.” Matthew 6:1-6,16-18
Key Point / Learning Objective:
Children will understand:
• That we give, act and pray during Lent to help us prepare for new life at Easter
Children will engage with:
• The guided meditation and answering questions
• The choosing of Lent commitments
• PowerPoint Presentation
• Appendix 1 – ‘Into the Garden’– Guided Meditation Script
• Appendix 2 – Give, Pray, Act words
• Appendix 3 – Gospel Reading
• Print copies of the appendices and prepare a child to read the Gospel.
• Decide if you will create a Lenten focal point and prepare accordingly.
• Traditional: "Turn To Me" by John B. Foley SJ
• Contemporary: "Jesus I Need You" by Gungor
Therese James, Teresa Kehoe and Edith Kirkwood