Subscription resource - Primary Schools
Will You Follow?
w/c 11 February 2019
The Gospel this week is about the fishermen Simon, James and John giving up everything they had to follow Jesus and become His disciples. Through this story, and a drama for children to perform which considers what is most important to them, following Jesus will be presented as the most important and valuable thing we can do with our lives. The assembly ends with a time of reflection when children can choose to follow Jesus.
‘Then, bringing their boats back to land, they left everything and followed him.’ Luke 5:1-11
Key Point / Learning Objective Children will learn that:
• Jesus calls us to follow Him.
• Following Jesus is the most important and valuable thing we can do with our lives.
• Sometimes this requires sacrifice, but the reward is far greater.
• Understand that Jesus calls them personally to follow Him.
• Answer questions about the drama.
• Engage with a personal time of reflection.
• PowerPoint Presentation.
• Appendix 1 – ‘The Best Thing Ever’ – script for pupil performance.
• Appendix 2 – Gospel Reading.
• Print copies of Appendix 1 and 2 and prepare 4 children to read them.
• Decide if you want to share a short personal testimony about following Jesus and if so, decide what you will say.
• Traditional: ‘All That Is Hidden’ by Bernadette Farrell
• Contemporary: "I Will Follow You" by Kristene DiMarco