Subscription resource - Primary Schools
w/c 04 February 2019
This week we celebrate the Feast of The Presentation of Our Lord, where at the Temple, Simeon and Anna recognised the baby Jesus as Christ. Through this Gospel reading, and a short film about a couple reflecting on the birth of their son Luken, children will learn that life is precious, valuable and unique. Children will reflect on their special qualities, learning that God’s love has no boundaries and is not earned but given. Children will be inspired to appreciate how precious others are too.
‘When Mary and Joseph took Jesus up to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord…Simeon took Him into his arms and blessed God.’ Luke 2:22-40
Key Point/Learning Objective:
Children will learn that:
• They are precious, valuable and unique.
• God’s love has no boundaries and is not earned: it is a gift given to all.
• Other people are precious too and should be treated as such.
• Understand what is meant by ‘precious, valuable and unique’.
• Answer questions about the film.
• Engage with a personal time of reflection.
• PowerPoint Presentation.
• Appendix 1 – Gospel Reading.
• Appendix 2 – Reflection Script.
• Print Appendix 1 and prepare a child to read it.
• Bring in an item that is precious to you. Prepare to show children and explain why it is precious.
• Traditional: "In His Temple Now Behold Him" by Henry J Pye and William Cooke
• Contemporary: "All Things New" by Hillsong Worship
Marie Christine Ginty and Edith Kirkwood