Subscription resource - Primary Schools
An Abundance of Love
w/c 21 January 2019
Through an animated take on this week’s Gospel story, children will see Jesus’ first miracle where He turned water into wine at the wedding of Cana. Children will learn the difference between magic tricks and miracles, and that Jesus displayed His power through this act. But Jesus didn’t just provide a little bit of wine to cover the shortfall, he provided an abundance of the best wine - showing that He lavishes love on us!
“People generally serve the best wine first and keep the cheaper sort till the guests have had plenty to drink; but you have kept the best wine till now.” John 2:1-11
Key Point/Learning Objective:
Children will learn that:
• Miracles are different to magic tricks, and Jesus’ miracles show his power.
• Jesus lavishes love on us: He saw a need and met it in abundance.
• Like Jesus, we can go over and above what is asked of us.
• Understand the difference between magic tricks and miracles.
• Answer questions about the film.
• Engage with a personal time of reflection.
• PowerPoint Presentation.
• Wear something with pockets and use a handkerchief or a coin to prepare a very simple magic trick. The worse it is performed the better! Instructions are in the Teacher Script.
• Traditional: "Be Still and Know that I am God" unknown, harmony by Stephen Dean
• Contemporary: "Dry Bones" by Nikki Fletcher and others