Subscription resource - Primary Schools
A Gift For The King
w/c 07 January 2019
The Feast of Epiphany celebrates Jesus being revealed to the Wise Men after their long journey following the star. Discovering Jesus brought them great joy and they gave Him gifts to honour Him.
Today’s assembly is a guided meditation on the journey of the Wise Men, offering children the opportunity to reflect on their own journey with Jesus and what gifts they can offer Him, their King.
‘They saw the child…and they knelt down and paid Him homage…they offered Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.’ Matthew 2:10-11
Key Point/Learning Objective:
Children will learn that:
• Epiphany celebrates Jesus being revealed to each of us individually.
• We can find joy in our personal relationship with Jesus.
• We can make an offering to Jesus just like the Wise Men did.
● Engage with the meditation.
● Understand that Jesus is a gift for all of us.
● Say what they would like to offer Jesus.
● PowerPoint Presentation.
● Appendix 1 – Gospel Reading.
● Appendix 2 – Guided Meditation.
● Print a copy of Appendix 1.
● If using Appendix 1 - Extension, prepare three children to process as Wise Men.
● Decide whether you will read Appendix 2 aloud or click to play as a voice recording. There is also an option to light a candle during the meditation if you wish.
• Traditional: “As with gladness men of old” from hymn by C.Kocher
• Contemporary: “Love Came Down” by Kim Walker-Smith
Lizzie Hastings and Edith Kirkwood