Subscription resource - Primary Schools
A Change Of Heart
w/c 10 December 2018
Last week’s assembly explored some of the external influences that can distract us from preparing to welcome Jesus during Advent. This week’s assembly helps children to focus on some of the internal, spiritual preparations we can make.
In episode two of the ‘Pinklehurst Road’ series, Mum experiences a change of heart over their Christmas guest and Dad asks Emily to consider changing her heart too. Through the Gospel reading about John the Baptist and his message of repentance and forgiveness, children will learn that we need God’s help to change our hearts.
‘John the Baptist went into all the country preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins…“Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.”’ Luke 3:1-6
Key Point/Learning Objective:
Children will learn that:
• Advent is a time to consider a change of heart in time for the coming of Jesus.
• A change of heart can happen through saying sorry and asking for forgiveness.
● Answer questions about the drama
● Reflect on how their hearts might need to change, say sorry and ask for forgiveness.
● PowerPoint Presentation
● Appendix 1 – Dramatised Gospel Reading
● Print out two copies of Appendix 1 and prepare 2 children to read it.
• Traditional: "O Come, O Come Emmanuel"
• Contemporary: "This Is Our God" by Chris Tomlin
Lizzie Hastings and Edith Kirkwood