Subscription resource - Primary Schools
How To Love God
w/c 5 November 2018
In Sunday’s Gospel, Jesus is asked ‘Which commandment is greatest of all?’ Jesus replies, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength.” In today’s assembly, children will discover how loving God leads us to know and love others and consider what actions they can take to love God.
‘To love Him with all your heart, with all your understanding and strength, and to love your neighbour as yourself, this is far more important than any holocaust or sacrifice.’ Mark 12:28-34
Key Point/Learning Objective:
- Children will understand the ‘greatest commandment of all’;
- Children will understand what it means to love God with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength and how to express and show love in the here and now.
Children will consider what they can ‘do’ to show their love for God and others and share their ideas.
Appendix 1 Gospel reading
Appendix 2 Drama (six copies for pupils)
- You may like to invite a child to read the Gospel – (Appendix 1)
- Please select six pupils to read/perform the drama (Appendix 2)
- Traditional: "A New Commandment" harmony by Stephen Dean
- Contemporary: "Forever" by Chris Tomlin