Subscription resource - Primary Schools
Who Is The Greatest?
w/c 24 September 2018
In today’s Gospel, we hear that the disciples argued about who was the ‘greatest’; Jesus said to them, "Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all." To celebrate the feast day of St Vincent De Paul, children will learn more about how this wonderful Saint inspires people today to help those in need and put others’ needs before their own.
“Anyone who welcomes one of these little children in my name, welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.” Mark 9:30-37
Key Point / Learning Objective:
- Children will learn that we should try to help others first and put their needs before our own.
- Children will learn that St Vincent de Paul has inspired many people to put the needs of others before their own.
- Children will identify someone whose needs they put before their own;
- Children will pledge to put the needs of another before their in celebration of the feast of St Vincent de Paul’s Feast day on 27 September.
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Appendix 1 - Gospel reading
- Appendix 2 – Three stories
- You may like to invite a child to read the Gospel - Appendix 1.
- Identify three children to read the stories Tucker, Kristy and Tommy – Appendix 2
- Traditional: "Servant Song" by Richard Gillard
- Contemporary: "God of Justice” by Tim Hughes