w/c 2 September 2019
This assembly offers a chance for children to step away from the busyness of the first week back and reflect on their relationship with Jesus. It also echoes the CES Education Sunday resources, where Father Tim Byron writes about God’s dream for our lives compared to the empty, materialistic riches that the world offers.
“None of you can be my disciple unless he gives up all his possessions.” Luke 14: 25-33
NB. This is the Gospel for Education Sunday (8th September) and is not explicitly referred to in this assembly, although the story and Fr Byron’s reflection is based on it.
Key Point / Learning Objective
- Have an opportunity to reflect on their relationship with Jesus and think about the year ahead.
- Learn that God’s dream for their lives is far more fulfilling than material riches.
- Engage with teaching and the time of reflection, answering questions where appropriate.
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Appendix 1 – Welcome Back
- Appendix 2 – Bidding Prayers
- Appendix 3 – A Reflection (Produced by the CES, this is Fr Tim Byron’s reflection on Education Sunday and is very inspiring - you might like to share it with staff members)
- Traditional: 'Gather Us In' by Marty Haugen
- Contemporary: 'How Great is Our God' by Chris Tomlin
- Prepare 5 children to read Appendix 2 – Bidding Prayers.
- Find out the details for any special Education Sunday services in your school’s parish.
This is a subscription resource.
You must be logged in as a Super User to download.
You must be logged in as a Super User to access it.
Who can access Ten Ten assemblies?
Only subscribers with Super-Access can access Ten Ten assemblies. This is usually 3 members of staff per subscribing school.
How do I download?
- Log in with your username and password.
- Go to the page of the resource you would like to Download
- Click on the Download link
- A .zip file containing all of the elements for the resource will download on your computer. This will be saved in your Downloads folder. Open the .zip file to access the content
What is included in the assembly download?
- Assembly Plan - We will provide a plan for each assembly which is written in note style rather than a script per se. We encourage teachers to make the resources their own and to adapt the questions and input to their children.
- Appendices – some assemblies have appendices which need to be printed for use during the assembly
- OPTIONAL* Powerpoint - the majority of assemblies have an accompanying PowerPoint with all relevant media embedded (e.g. film/music)
*Sometimes, PowerPoint files are large because they contain film footage. Alternatively, you can use the Online Presentation, which is the same resource, that streams the presentation and film content. This is also useful for Mac users who may not be able to view the film footage.
What software and equipment do I need?
- You will need Powerpoint software if you choose to download the presentation instead of using the online version. Alternatively, you can use the Powerpoint Viewer, which is a free download from Microsoft. (If you have an old version of Powerpoint, we also recommend downloading the updatedPowerpoint Viewer)
- As we use .wmv files for our films, you will also need Windows Media Player. This is a free download from Microsoft. It is usually downloaded automatically as part of Windows Updateso please ensure that you have updated your Windows.
- And we also recommend downloading Quicktime, which is a free download from Apple.
- To play the film and audio, you will require a projector, screen and sound system.
Do I need to stream films?
- If you use the PowerPoint, the film file is contained within the presentation.
- If you use the Online Presentation, you will need to stream the films on the internet.
- If you are a Mac user, you may not be able to play WMV files. In this instance, please use the online presentation to stream the films online.
How is the Online Presentation different from PowerPoint?
- It is quicker and easier to access the Online Presentation instead of downloading a large PowerPoint file.
- You need an internet connection to view the Online Presentation.
- The films do not play WITHIN the presentation. Instead a new tab opens taking you to the film page. After the film has finished, return to the original tab and make the presentation full-size again.
- Depending on your browser and computer figuration, reflective music may not be available to you.
Please log in to download the resources.