w/c 02 December 2019
This is the first assembly of the new liturgical year and also of our Advent series, which explores what it really means to get ready for Jesus’ coming at Christmas and at the end of time. Through the first of three dramas about best friends Hannah and Caleb, children will be encouraged to think about how preparations for Christmas should bring about change in their own lives.
“Therefore, you too must stand ready because the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”
Matthew 24: 37-44
Key Point / Learning Objective:
Children will understand that:
- We can prepare for Christmas in different ways.
- When Jesus asks us to prepare, He is talking about preparing ourselves, which often involves changing our behaviour.
- Engage with the drama and answer questions.
- Be able to give examples of various ways of preparing for Christmas and distinguish between good ways and better ways.
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Appendix 1 – Gospel Reading.
- Appendix 2 – ‘Best Friends at Christmas’ (Part 1).
- Prepare an Advent candle or if you don’t have access to one, just use the video on Slide 2.
- Ask a child to read Appendix 1 – Gospel Reading.
- Prepare 2-3 children to read Appendix 2 – ‘Best Friends at Christmas’ (Part 1). This is a three-part drama throughout Advent so pick confident children who can repeat their roles.
- Traditional: Awake From Your Slumber by Daniel Schutte S.J.
- Contemporary: Wake Up by Kristian Stanfill
Marie Christine Ginty and Edith Kirkwood
This is a subscription resource.
You must be logged in as a Super User to download.
You must be logged in as a Super User to access it.
Who can access Ten Ten assemblies?
Only subscribers with Super-Access can access Ten Ten assemblies. This is usually 3 members of staff per subscribing school.
How do I download?
- Log in with your username and password.
- Go to the page of the resource you would like to Download
- Click on the Download link
- A .zip file containing all of the elements for the resource will download on your computer. This will be saved in your Downloads folder. Open the .zip file to access the content
What is included in the assembly download?
- Assembly Plan - We will provide a plan for each assembly which is written in note style rather than a script per se. We encourage teachers to make the resources their own and to adapt the questions and input to their children.
- Appendices – some assemblies have appendices which need to be printed for use during the assembly
- OPTIONAL* Powerpoint - the majority of assemblies have an accompanying PowerPoint with all relevant media embedded (e.g. film/music)
*Sometimes, PowerPoint files are large because they contain film footage. Alternatively, you can use the Online Presentation, which is the same resource, that streams the presentation and film content. This is also useful for Mac users who may not be able to view the film footage.
What software and equipment do I need?
- You will need Powerpoint software if you choose to download the presentation instead of using the online version. Alternatively, you can use the Powerpoint Viewer, which is a free download from Microsoft. (If you have an old version of Powerpoint, we also recommend downloading the updatedPowerpoint Viewer)
- As we use .wmv files for our films, you will also need Windows Media Player. This is a free download from Microsoft. It is usually downloaded automatically as part of Windows Updateso please ensure that you have updated your Windows.
- And we also recommend downloading Quicktime, which is a free download from Apple.
- To play the film and audio, you will require a projector, screen and sound system.
Do I need to stream films?
- If you use the PowerPoint, the film file is contained within the presentation.
- If you use the Online Presentation, you will need to stream the films on the internet.
- If you are a Mac user, you may not be able to play WMV files. In this instance, please use the online presentation to stream the films online.
How is the Online Presentation different from PowerPoint?
- It is quicker and easier to access the Online Presentation instead of downloading a large PowerPoint file.
- You need an internet connection to view the Online Presentation.
- The films do not play WITHIN the presentation. Instead a new tab opens taking you to the film page. After the film has finished, return to the original tab and make the presentation full-size again.
- Depending on your browser and computer figuration, reflective music may not be available to you.
Please log in to download the resources.