Life in Sixth Form Session
Inducting students into Sixth Form life is a challenging and exciting prospect for any school or college. This session aims to help students to prepare for and understand the personal, social and educative changes ahead.
At the heart of the “Life in Sixth Form” session is a 30-minute filmed drama “Common Room” which highlights some of the key challenges and opportunities facing young people as they begin a new phase of life in Sixth Form. The film and follow-up session explores: friendship, success, money and work, relationships, drugs and alcohol, and the pastoral support available in the school or college.
Students will be able to effectively articulate some of the key challenges and opportunities facing them throughout their time in Sixth Form.
– Teacher script
– PowerPoint with streamed film and embedded clips
– Personal worksheet – Appendix 1
– Large sheet (A2 or A1) for group work
– This session has been designed to run over a 90-minute / 2 hour session as part of Sixth Form Induction. However, it can be easily adapted to work in shorter sessions over a longer period of time and in smaller groups. Please see Adaptations to Session at the end of this document.
– The film, “Common Room”, is to be streamed live from the internet by following the link on the PowerPoint. Please note, you will require a good internet connection and a username / password (provided by Ten Ten) to access the film.
– Arrange students in groups of about 6 for group work during the session.
Overview and Timings:
1. Welcome and introduction – 5 mins
2. Film: “Common Room” – 30 mins
3. Personal writing and discussion – 25-40 mins
4. Group activity – 25-40 mins
5. Final reflection – 5 mins
TOTAL TIME: 90 mins to 2 hours
Your file will be saved in your local Downloads folder.
Subscribers may only download this file a maximum of 2 times.
To access this resource, please log in. Access is only granted to users in a school who have booked the Ten Ten RSE Programme 2018-19. You must request access from the Ten Ten office. We will check your booking status and aim to grant you access as soon as possible. To request access, please complete the form.
[contact-form-7 id=”6042″ title=”Common Room – request access”]