Lesson: Delving Deeper into Truth and Lies
RSE Programme - Secondary Schools
Following the “Truth and Lies” cinema presentation from Ten Ten, this session is designed to be led by teachers back in the classroom. ‘Truth and Lies’ uses a fictional film as well as real-life stories to look at the effect of pornography on users and those around them. This follow-on session allows students to delve deeper into issues of pornography, exploitation, objectification, love, sex and intimacy.
Many of the activities involve the discussion of these sensitive issues, therefore it is imperative that these sessions should be delivered in a safe environment where opinions can be shared without judgement or criticism. Teachers and Senior Leaders should also be ready to respond to any child protection/pastoral issues which might arise.
Key Point / Learning Objective
- To deepen students’ understanding of the “Truth and Lies” film and real-life stories.
- To discuss key issues raised in the presentation including pornography, exploitation, objectification, love, sex and intimacy.
- To spend time in personal reflection and prayer.
- Students will be able to describe the story of “Truth and Lies” and identify the key themes raised in the film and real-life stories.
- Students will discuss the key issues raised in the presentation with sensitivity and respect for the opinions of others.
- Students will engage in a time of prayer and reflection.
- Teacher Script
- PowerPoint presentation
- Appendix 1 – Synopsis of “Truth and Lies”
- Appendix 2 – True or False
- Appendix 3 – A Letter to My Younger Self
- Read the synopsis of “Truth and Lies”, especially if you did not watch the play (Appendix 1).
- Discuss with Senior Leadership any personal issues which may be raised through this session.
- Decide upon discussion groups before the session begins (we suggest 5-6 per group), paying attention to the sensitivity of group dynamics.
- Print and cut out one set of ‘Appendix 2 – True or False’ per group
- Print and fold ‘Appendix 3 – A Letter to My Younger Self’ per student (A4 sheet folded into A5 booklet).
- Given the nature of this session, there is a lot of information given. Please look through the PowerPoint document beforehand to familiarise yourself with it. You may wish to read this aloud yourself, or prepare students to read different sections out as best works with your class. It’s advisable to have it read aloud in some way, so as not to give opportunities for an opting out.
Overview and timings
1. Group Agreement - 3 mins
2. ‘Truth and Lies’ recall - 4 mins
a. Porn affects the Brain - 6 mins
b. Porn affects Relationships - 8 mins
c. Porn affects the World - 6 mins
4. Real Life Stories - 10 mins
5. Personal Writing - 10 mins
6. Seeking Support and Prayer - 3 mins
TOTAL TIME: 50 mins
Please note, the session content can comfortably extend to a 60-minute session by giving more time to each exercise, or even extended over 2 sessions, allowing for more time for discussion. Please read the session plan and estimate the timings for your group accordingly.
You must be logged in to download.Resource only available with a 'Ten Ten RSE Day booking' in the academic year 2018/19.
How to play the films
Most of our video content is provided in the Windows Media Video (.wmv) format as this is the best fitting format for most school computers. If you use a Mac computer, you may like to consider downloading a plugin so it can play .wmv files. Here are two links to plugins. Please note that they are external plugins and Ten Ten cannot guarantee that they will work on your local machines. The plugin costs $9.99.